Supervisor: Academic Dean(s)
Overview: Broome Street Academy Charter High School will empower our students to reach their highest aspirations for post-secondary success. Our equitable, holistic, and student-centered approach will provide students with access to a rigorous, standards-based curriculum that will equip our graduates with the skills they need to make a positive impact on their communities and the broader world. At BSA, we hold our students to five pillars of excellence to support students in becoming well-rounded, valuable and value-added citizens. The five pillars of PRIDE include: Professionalism, Resilience, Investment, Dignity, Empath.
What will excite you to go to work every day:
- Through progressive and experienced instructional leadership, actualize an innovative academic vision and instructional practices.
- Overseeing curriculum, programmatic oversight, and alignment across all core content area curriculum.
- Supporting the adoption of New Visions for Public Schools, as well as In-House developed curricula.
- Being an expert in designing adult learning experiences, culturally responsive teaching practices, and purposeful and vertically aligned curriculum design that supports students to become independent learners.
- Working closely with a team of equity-minded and progressive instructional leaders committed to ensuring every child can achieve college and career readiness and become leaders in their own lives and communities.
- Working long days, with an intensity required to work in a high-performing charter school.
What you will be doing:
- Lead and support systems and processes for the selection, development, and curation of curricular resources in core content areas across 9-12 so that all students have access to high quality curriculum, with particular attention to needs of our most vulnerable student populations.
- Provide direct support to teachers and leaders in understanding and designing from core instructional resources, lead teams in the process of revision, implementation, and refinement of core resources.
- Lead and facilitate instructional rounds with Instructional Leadership and pedagogical staff to assess the quality of teaching & learning.
- Serve as observer and and/or coach of teachers using the Framework for Teaching as a tool to evaluate and foster, growth, and development in teachers.
- Support the investigation and adoption of Culturally Responsive pedagogy across all courses
- Supports the school by coordinating digital or physical materials left by absent teachers and arranging coverages for absent teachers.
- Conduct curriculum audits and gather and utilize other sources of quantitative and qualitative data to monitor progress towards improved student and staff outcomes and assess the impact of shifts to curriculum and curricular resources, professional development, and instructional practices on student and staff outcomes.
- Work with Instructional Leadership to develop and effectively operationalize instructional vision through the implementation of curriculum and strengthening of instruction.
- Design, facilitate, and deliver professional development for leaders and teachers.
Who you are:
- Someone with a Valid New York State Teaching License and a Master’s degree (SBL is a plus).
- You have six or more years of experience working in an urban school.
- You enjoy collaborating within a team to support your teachers and department leaders.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills with students, families, and teachers.
- You can remain calm and supportive during conflict
- A flexible thinker willing to do “whatever it takes” approach to work.
FT: 40 hrs./week, 12-month position, July 2021 start
Salary is based on experience and credentials/certifications.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to APPLY!
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.