*Para el siguiente cuidador semanal en español, haga clic aquí *
The following is the BSA Weekly Caregiver Newsletter for week of 11/30-12/4:
A Message from the Head of School
Dear Broome Street Academy Community,
We hope this note finds you well. We are now in the second marking period of the Fall Term and I wanted to give you a heads up about midterms and annual assessments that your child will be required to take this school year.
At BSA we utilize assessments to measure progress and see where students need more support academically. This year we ask that you support by helping your child have dedicated time to complete all required assessments as they are due.
The following assessments will occur in the month of December:
- Mock regents exams will be given in all core subjects, Math, ELA, History and Science, before the holiday break. These exams are meant to analyze how your child will do on state tests and give them an opportunity to practice with no pressure. Completion of these exams are mandatory and will be calculated into your child’s grade for the first term.
- Broome Street Academy also issues yearly NWEA exams this is a national assessment that shows your child’s progress in ELA and Math and is measured against national standards across the country. The NWEA MAP exam will be given three times per year. The first NWEA assessment will occur the third week in December. For more information about the NWEA exam please feel free to look at the link here. https://www.nwea.org/the-map-suite/family-toolkit
- Classroom level assessments will occur as assigned by each teacher individually.
We would also like to remind you that this year the holiday break for Broome Street Academy begins on December 24th and ends when students return to class on January 4th.
Later this month, we will write you an update letting you know about our remote/hybrid schedule.
Wishing you a safe and healthy start to December!
Announcement #1: Inclusive Schools Week 2020 and Spirit Days, December 7-11
We welcome your support of our third annual celebration of Inclusive Schools Week 2020. This year it is celebrated December 7-11, 2020 and is our opportunity to reflect on all the aspects of our school community that make us unique. Inclusive Schools Week also recognizes the progress that schools have made in providing a supportive and quality education to an increasingly diverse student population. This year’s theme is “The time for inclusion is now!” We will share inclusion (ensuring that everyone feels welcome and heard) stories with your students and invite them to celebrate themselves and their culture. Inclusive Schools Week also provides a significant opportunity for educators, students, and parents to discuss what else needs to be done to ensure that their schools continue to improve their ability to educate all children successfully.
Additionally, during that week, we will celebrate Spirit Days that highlight our P.R.I.D.E. pillars of professionalism, resilience, investment, dignity, and empathy. On Monday, December 7th, we will celebrate professionalism and ask that your student wear their BSA polo during their Zoom sessions with teachers.
- Wear your BSA polo and for freshmen, solid color polo
- Send your pictures to Ms. Westbrooks (Dwestbrooks@broomestreetacademy.org) or Mr. Bhagwandeen (SBhagwandeen@broomestreetacademy.org)
- Reflective Day
- How have you shown resilience during the pandemic? Students will be having a discussion during their English Classes
Wednesday- Flag “Zoom Background Day”
- Represent your culture during your student’s advocacy discussion
- Reflective day
- What makes you feel respected and recognized at BSA? Students will be having a discussion during their English Classes
To make it more exciting all participating students who send a photo per the guidelines above will be entered into a drawing to win one of four $35 gift cards. Two names will be drawn for participation in Professionalism Day and two more names for participation in Flag Day.
Please note at least 15% of the school must participate for the four “big” drawings to be held. Less than 15% participation will result in two gift card drawings (one for participation in each non-reflective spirit day).
Gift card choices are as follows:
|Dunkin Donuts||Best Buy|
|Grub Hub||Google Play|
|Dominos||Old Navy or GAP|
Announcement# 2: Virtual Caregiver Association Meeting, December 10th
Please join us on Thursday, December 10th for our Virtual Monthly Caregiver Association Meeting. We’ll discuss various topics as well as our goals for the upcoming BSA school year. Please follow the instructions below to register in advance for the meeting. Meeting will be held from 5:30-6:30pm.
When: Nov 12, 2020 05:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Register in advance for this meeting: https://tinyurl.com/y3n2g57x
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Announcement# 3: Update: BSA Monthly Family Survey from Panorama Education
BSA would like to thank the caregivers who participated in the November 2020 BSA Family Survey. However, we will not be holding the Amazon gift card drawing as we did not reach the goal of 25% participation rate for the raffle. Please be on the lookout for our December Family Survey from Panorama this Wednesday. We will try for the same goal and the same prize! Thank you for your continued dedication to BSA!