*Para el siguiente cuidador semanal en español, haga clic aquí *
Dear BSA community,
I hope this note finds you well in spite of the many challenges we’ve faced this year.
I’m writing to you today to let you know that, after long and careful deliberation, Broome Street Academy has determined that we will continue to offer instruction on a 100% remote basis through April 12th 2021.
This was a hard decision to make, but we are confident it’s the right one. Over the last several months, we’ve listened intently to our stakeholders, from caregivers to students to faculty; I believe this decision reflects our core values as a school and is in the best interest of our students and our community.
Some of the key factors that led us to make this decision include:
- The health and safety of students, families, and faculty come first. COVID infection rates are much higher in New York City than they were in the fall. Many schools have reverted back to 100% online instruction; as of today, no regular high schools operated by the New York City Department of Education are offering in-person instruction. In our assessment, the risks posed by congregating in classrooms continue to be very significant, and we’re making the choices that continue to put the health and safety of our community first.
- BSA has successfully adapted to remote instruction. Over 90% of BSA students are engaging daily, and every student has up to six classes plus additional supports. We’ve heard from caregivers that this schedule is providing necessary structure to students, who have regular interactions with their classmates as well as good access to guidance counselors and social workers. Our remote teaching has been engaging and is supporting varied learning styles. Teachers are available to support students throughout the entire day as needed, and students have opportunities to safely socialize with staff-supervised clubs
BSA students will continue to access critical supportive services though our partner The Door:
- We’ve implemented rigorous safety protocols and timed appointments for students who receive in-person services including daily grab-and-go lunches, health services, and counseling.
- Students who require in person WIFI services will be able to access those at our campus
We are enhancing our academic model to include additional supports in the new year, including:
- After School Remote Study Hall in all core subjects, daily beginning the week of January 11th, 2021.
- Additional Tutoring Friday in all subjects beginning the week of January 11th, 2021.
- Teacher-led Remote Saturday School for all Core subjects to begin January 29th, 2021.
- Additional tutoring for all IEP students beginning the week of January 11th, 2021.
- Effective January 11th, 2021 Mandatory ELA and MATH assignments from Achieve 3000 for the entire Freshman class and all Sophomores struggling in ELA and or Math.
- Effective February 1st, 2021, personalized student schedules for every student at BSA to support caregiver involvement in participation.
As educators, we all agree that being able to learn together in person is preferable to remote instruction, and we are looking forward to the day when we will be able to do so safely and effectively.
In the coming months, we will continue to stay in close and consistent contact with caregivers and students to see how else we can be of support. If we find that due to improved health conditions, we can open to hybrid instruction earlier then 4/12/20 we will keep you posted of any possible changes.
If you have any additional questions or require any support please do not hesitate to reach us at email@example.com.
Wishing you a healthy and happy holiday and a brighter 2021 for all.
Head of School, Broome Street Academy