Overview: The Broome Street Academy Charter High School will prepare our young people for post-secondary success that leads to positive life outcomes. We value student strengths and will provide multiple pathways to success through a curriculum of rigorous academic, career and social instruction grounded in the principles of positive youth development.
Broome Street Academy values:
- The development of individual student strengths
- Caregiver involvement
- A learning environment that fosters mutual respect
- A safe, supportive school climate
- Standards-based curriculum that is relevant
- Student learning that is meaningful and goal oriented
- Development of and respect for community partnerships
- Healthy social and emotional relationships
The Chef Manager will prepare breakfast and lunch for Broome Street Academy and The Door and assure the smooth operation of the kitchen by performing the following duties.
- Abide by the Department of Health (DOH), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OHSA), Department of Education (DOE) regulations regarding proper kitchen hygiene and maintenance.
- Ensure that quality and quantity of food meet standards for meal patterns established by designated regulatory agencies (i.e. USDA, FDA, NSLP etc.).
- Receive and inspect incoming product for quality and quantity, and ensure prompt and proper storage.
- Supervise and participate in the requisition, inspection, preparation, cooking and portioning food in accordance with quality standards.
- Supervise and coordinate daily activities of staff engaged in food preparation, meal service and cleanup.
- Supervise and participate in training other kitchen personnel in their duties and responsibilities
- Ensure all kitchen staff are trained and meet annual training requirements
- Prepare meals accurately according to written recipes and recommend changes in recipe/cooking method to improve quality of food
- Generate daily production records, maintain monthly inventory, and records of all food item purchases
- Submit food orders to vendors in a timely manner
- Maintain all backup documentation for menu items, recipes, CN labels, PFS
- Create and design monthly menus to be posted online and near kitchen
- Maintain annual health permit and all inspection follow ups from DOH
- Ensure safe handling and proper temperature control of prepared food
- Maintain daily equipment and food temp logs
- Ensure security of refrigerators, freezers, storerooms, and office before leaving for the day
- Check cleanliness and sanitation of kitchen, and equipment, dining area, and adherence to sanitation standards
- Conduct focus groups, create surveys, and provide tastings to increase student participation and meal satisfaction
- Consult with the Assistant Director of Food and Wellness Programs as to schedule the menu and any other problems
- Complete National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Food Authority (SFA) documentation/logs
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associates Degree in Culinary Arts; or 3-5 years of experience as Chef or line cook
- 3-5 years of food service management experience
- 3 -5 years of experience working with DOE or National School Lunch Program
- Valid New York City Food Handlers Certificate
- Experience in youth development work and interest in working with adolescents required
- Supervisory, budgeting, and purchasing experience required
- Proficiency in the safe operation of all kitchen equipment and Department of Health regulations
- Excellent managerial, communication and customer service skills required
- Basic computer skills required, including Microsoft Office
- Administrative experience required
Hours: 40 hours per week
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY