Supervisor: Associate Head of School
Overview: The Broome Street Academy Charter High School will prepare our young people for post-secondary success that leads to positive life outcomes. We value student strengths and will provide multiple pathways to success through a curriculum of rigorous academic, career and social instruction grounded in the principles of positive youth development. We value a learning environment that fosters learning by developing students’ strengths and providing a safe and supportive setting.
In collaboration with the Associate Head of School:
- Serve as a pedagogical leader with a keen eye towards instructional excellence at Broome Street Academy , with a depth of understanding regarding State Learning Standards and Academic Policy
- Oversee all aspects of teaching and learning at Broome Street Academy with a focus on teacher development and support across the greater school community.
- Ensure that the Academy meets or exceeds the goals stated in the Accountability Plan.
- Lead all members of the Academics Team in their use of curriculum resources to develop rigorous, engaging, differentiated units and lesson plans with applied instructional strategies.
- Develop a regular system for teacher team meetings to support in the tracking and benchmarking of school-wide goals, analyze data, collaborate as a team, and to continue professional development cycles as needed.
- Provide timely, relevant, and regular feedback on instructional practices and strategies to ensure continuous improvement and ongoing development of the instructional staff using feedback documents, coaching meetings, and in-classroom coaching.
- Oversee development of school-wide curriculum and ensure vertical alignment grades 9 through 12 using curricula guides for Humanities offerings.
- Gather and analyze evidence about the quality of curricula using on-going assessment data with respect to school-wide learning goals.
- Gather and analyze evidence about the quality of professional learning through its successful application in teachers’ classrooms through the collection and development of regular formative and summative assessments, a daily walk-through observation tool, and teacher evaluations.
- Oversee and coordinate the development and administration of school-based assessments in Humanities content.
Collaborate with Instructional Leadership Team and Senior Director of Operations in support of hiring for all instructional staff.
- Collaborate with the Instructional Leadership Team to develop the instructional calendar and keep staff up to date on upcoming events.
- Support and promote equity and inclusion by collaborating with teachers and leaders across the school to ensure appropriate accommodations for students with IEPs and 504 Plans are provided.
- Work closely with the Instructional Leadership Team to prepare monthly reports on student achievement and perform additional relevant duties as requested by the Head of School.
- Master’s degree required- ideally in the field of education or educational leadership.
- NYS Certification as a Building Leader strongly preferred, secondary content area and Special Education a plus
- Commitment to the Academy’s Mission and Vision, with a desire to hold high expectations in a respectful and equitable environment for our population of students.
- Evidence of strong judgement and leadership skills, as demonstrated through successful teacher and school leadership experience in multiple subject areas.
- Ability to manage competing priorities with a focus on successfully navigating ambiguity or organizational challenges.
- Minimum of 7 years of demonstrated successful teaching experience.
- Minimum of 3 years in supervising teachers in curricular development and instructional practice
- Extensive knowledge of current trends in the practices of professional development, teaching and learning.
- Demonstrated leadership in working with professional staff, students, and the community.
- Demonstrated understanding and practice of the principles of positive youth development.
Why You Should Join Our Team:
- You want to empower students
- 403(b) Pension Plan through Mutual of America
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- Life/LTD Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
- Summer vacations!
- Hours: 40 hrs./Week
Salary: Commensurate based on experience, plus a generous benefits package
Contact: Submit your cover letter and resume to APPLY!
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.