Broome Street Academy, a charter high school located in New York City, is seeking a Family & Community Coordinator to join our team. In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the school’s outreach to current and prospective families, communities, and community-based organizations (CBOs), supporting partnership efforts with The Door, managing the school’s website and social media accounts, and engaging with our students and families on a weekly basis through curating and disseminating our Weekly Warrior Newsletter.
The Family & Community Coordinator is self-motivated, enthusiastic, and community-driven to take on this exciting role. This position requires someone equipped with a positive attitude and readiness to be a team player. The Family & Community Coordinator is an integral part of our school. They work closely with school staff, school leadership teams, parent/caregiver associations, and community groups to engage families and involve them in school communities.
This position focuses on creating a welcoming and supportive environment for our school community. The Family & Community Coordinator is also charged with identifying issues of concern and working with school leaders to ensure that these issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Conduct outreach to engage families in their student’s education and maintain open lines of communication with families
- Empower parents/caregivers to feel that they have a voice in the education of their student
- Communicate regularly with current and prospective families through newsletters, email, and other channels
- Participate in call teams and other outreach efforts using our Student Information Systems and other communication tools
- Manage and update the school’s website and social media accounts to ensure accurate and engaging content
- Manage and update the school’s public-facing calendar on the website
- Train parents on how to use our Student Information Systems so that they may access information about their student’s progress
Family & Community Engagement
- Schedule, support, and facilitate as needed, Parent/Caregiver Association meetings
- Identify, schedule, and support workshops, trainings, events and community-building activities for families
- Commitment to build school, family, and community partnerships that support improved student outcomes
- Build relationships with families that support ongoing communication and involvement in school activities and events
- Work with The Door to support partnership efforts and programming
- Coordinate outreach efforts to communities and CBOs to promote the school’s mission and programs
- Connect teachers with individuals and organizations with alignment to curricula
- Support school wide student recruitment efforts that promote the school and its student application, lottery and enrollment processes.
- Support Admissions and Recruitment Counselor with data entry and ensuring accurate reporting
- Provide recruitment and outreach materials drafts and support to the Admissions and Recruitment Counselor as needed
- Promote and represent the school at fairs, open houses and community events as appropriate.
General School Support
- Help organize and support school activities during and after school, including caregiver conference nights, fundraisers, cultural events, and celebrations
- Provide operational support to the school as needed, including but not limited to, coverage of the Main Office, morning entry, lunch duty, and hallway support as needed
- Demonstrate a positive work ethic and actively participate in school improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Education, or a related field
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in community outreach and engagement, customer service, preferably in an educational or non-profit setting
- Proficient in social media management, website development, and data entry
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Friendly, enthusiastic, and positive attitude
- Detail-orientated with the ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Demonstrated commitment to the school’s vision and mission
- Ability to work effectively with adolescents, families, professionals, and other personnel from a wide range of cultural, social, and economic backgrounds.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, including board members, school leadership, school staff, community-based organizations, and families
- Knowledge of School Information Systems is a plus
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple deadlines coupled with the ability to think and act strategically
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings, early mornings, and weekends as needed
If you are passionate about family engagement, community outreach, being the voice for our school, and want to make a difference in the lives of young people, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
Work Schedule: This is a full-time, 12-month position with school recesses/breaks off
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus a generous benefits package
Contact: submit resume & cover letter to: APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy require all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.