Broome Street Academy Charter High School is currently accepting applications for a Living Environment Teacher for our 2022-2023 school year.
We are looking for a teacher who are passionate about their academic discipline and personally driven by the academic achievements of their students.
***We are currently offering sign-on bonuses for any teacher hired prior to the beginning of the 2022-2023 School Year!***
Come and share your passion with our students while continuously deepening your knowledge of the subject/s you teach.
Broome Street Academy Charter High School (BSA) is a tuition-free public charter high school located in SoHo, educating students from all five boroughs, and devoted to providing students the necessary skills and support to graduate prepared for a successful future beyond high school. Our equitable, holistic, and student-centered approach will provide students with access to a rigorous, standards-based curriculum that will equip our graduates with the skills they need to make a positive impact on their communities and the broader world. Uniquely, BSA is the only charter school in the NYCDOE Community Schools portfolio because of our long-standing partnership with The Door, a revered non-profit organization celebrating 50 years of serving New York City’s young people in 2022. Our partnership allows us to serve the whole student and meet a variety of non-academic needs that clear the path for student learning.
We are an inclusive school community that values academic rigor, trauma informed practice, and student voice. Our Advanced Placement classes, Athletics program, and after school club offerings give our students the full high school experience in a small, one-of-a-kind environment. Our admissions policy gives preference to siblings and students who are homeless, in foster care, or from low performing schools, though all students, regardless of their background, circumstance, race, gender or ethnicity are welcome, and encouraged to apply.
At BSA, we hold our students to five pillars of excellence to support students in becoming well-rounded, valuable and value-added citizens. The five pillars of PRIDE include:
Professionalism, Resilience, Investment, Dignity, Empathy
Broome Street Academy values:
- Student Voice
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Academic rigor (including challenging curriculum and AP courses)
- Caregiver involvement
- A safe, supportive school environment
- Development of and respect for community partnerships
- Healthy social and emotional relationships.
A Broome Street Academy teacher is unwavering in their commitment to our mission and values, shows grit when faced with challenges, and wants to contribute to a positive academic community. Our teachers are encouraged to let their voices be heard, and to not be okay with the status quo of education. They meet students where they are academically, and socio-emotionally, and push them forward when they need just a little nudge or lift them up when more is necessary. Student achievement is the north star for a teacher at BSA, and they know that success can look different for every student.
- Teach 5 classes and/or the equivalent responsibilities; teach where needed regardless certification or training.
- Record proper attendance for every class assigned in real-time.
- Serve as an advisor to small group of students.
- Ensure students achieve goals set forth in the SUNY Accountability Plan.
- Develop NY State and Common Core Standards-aligned units and lessons.
- Attend all scheduled prep time with co-teachers/team members and all scheduled meetings (grade team, subject area, professional development, etc.).
- Update gradebook weekly at minimum.
- Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all students (especially those with ELL and IEP designations)
- Prepare students for all required assessments (Regents, NWEA, PSAT, SAT) where applicable.
- Participate in all required School professional development.
- Actively pursue certification and/or professional development.
- Communicate regularly with caregivers.
- Maintain a welcoming and safe classroom environment.
- Engage in effective and appropriate classroom management.
- Maintain clean and clutter free room spaces for all students’ and teachers’ use.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant school content area minimum, Master’s degree in Education, Teaching, or relevant content area preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area as shown by significant undergraduate or graduate coursework in content area or teaching certification.
- Dual-certification and/or experience with Special Education highly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate assessments.
- Familiarity with trauma informed practice a plus.
- Effective work ethic as a team member.
- Personable, outgoing and an appropriate sense of humor for a high school environment is always welcome.
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday – Friday – 40 hrs. a week, 10-month position paid over 12 months, with summers off.
Contact: Submit your cover letter & resume to: APPLY
For the convenience of faculty and families with students in public elementary and middle schools, BSA largely follows the NYCDOE school calendar, with a few limited modifications.
Complete benefit package offered to all full-time faculty.
Salary: Based on experience and credentials/certifications.
COVID -19 POLICY
Broome Street Academy follows the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Broome Street Academy requires all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.