WE ARE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR MATH & SCIENCE TEACHERS (CHEMISTRY & BIOLOGY/LIVING ENVIRONMENT)
Broome Street Academy Charter High School (BSA) is a tuition-free public charter high school located in SoHo, educating students from all five boroughs, and devoted to providing students the necessary skills and support to graduate prepared for a successful future beyond high school. Our equitable, holistic, and student-centered approach will provide students with access to a rigorous, standards-based curriculum that will equip our graduates with the skills they need to make a positive impact on their communities and the broader world. Uniquely, BSA is the only charter school in the NYCDOE Community Schools portfolio because of our long-standing partnership with The Door, a revered non-profit organization celebrating 50 years of serving New York City’s young people in 2022. Our partnership allows us to serve the whole student and meet a variety of non-academic needs that clear the path for student learning.
We are an inclusive school community that values academic rigor, trauma informed practice, and student voice. Our Advanced Placement classes, Athletics program, and extracurricular offerings give our students the full high school experience in a small, one-of-a-kind environment. Our admissions policy gives preference to siblings and students who are homeless, in foster care, or from low performing schools, though all students, regardless of their background, circumstance, race, gender or ethnicity are welcome, and encouraged to apply.
A Broome Street Academy teacher is unwavering in their commitment to our mission and values, shows grit when faced with challenges, and wants to contribute to a positive academic community. Our teachers are encouraged to let their voices be heard, and to not be okay with the status quo in education. They meet students where they are academically, and socio-emotionally, push them forward when they need just a little nudge, or lift them up when more is necessary. Student achievement is the north star for a teacher at BSA, and they know that success can look different for every student. BSA teachers collaborate regularly with other teachers, social workers, and the student life team to ensure all students have the support they need to succeed and to continue their own learning and growth as educators.
- Teach up to five classes and/or the equivalent responsibilities where needed.
- Serve as an advisor to small group of students.
- Develop NY State and Common Core Standards-aligned units and lessons.
- Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all students (especially those with ELL and IEP designations)
- Prepare students for all required assessments (Regents, NWEA, PSAT, SAT) where applicable.
- Ensure students achieve goals set forth in the SUNY Accountability Plan.
- Record proper attendance for every class assigned in real-time.
- Update gradebook weekly at minimum.
- Attend all scheduled prep time with co-teachers/team members and all scheduled meetings (grade team, subject area department, etc.).
- Actively collaborate with colleagues to support student success.
- Participate in all required School professional development.
- Actively pursue certification and/or professional development.
- Communicate regularly with caregivers.
- Maintain a welcoming and safe classroom environment.
- Engage in effective and appropriate classroom management.
- Maintain clean and clutter free room spaces for all students’ and teachers’ use.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant school content area at minimum, Master’s degree in Education, Teaching, or relevant content area preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area as shown by significant undergraduate or graduate coursework in content area or teaching certification.
- Dual-certification and/or experience with Special Education highly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in, or potential and willingness to learn, effective lesson planning, instruction, classroom management, and effective assessment strategies.
- Familiarity with trauma informed practice a plus.
- Effective work ethic as a team member.
- Personable, outgoing and an appropriate sense of humor for a high school environment is always welcome.
Full-time 10-month teaching positions are paid over 12 months (summers off). For the convenience of faculty, and our families with students in traditional public elementary and middle schools, BSA largely follows the NYCDOE school calendar, with a few limited modifications. Complete benefit package offered to all full-time faculty.
Salary: Based on experience and credentials/certifications.
Complete benefit package offered to all full-time faculty.
Contact: Submit resume & cover letter to: APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
Broome Street Academy follows the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Broome Street Academy requires all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.